Saturday, February 23, 2008

"If you want something, go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness.

The interview lasted nearly two hours. I was waiting downstairs in the computer lab, but there are only so many times you can check e-mail, read a story on CNN.com and check facebook before you go mad.

I couldn't take it anymore so I walked upstairs to the office to see if I could hear anything. The door was open and I was invited into the room.

Zukisani Lamani got in. He got in! He got in! He got in!

The first workshop is tomorrow. Zukisani is being provided with taxi fare to get to and from Rhodes, meals, weekly seminars on journalism, access to cameras and computers, an opportunity to meet local reporters and editors, a cell phone (with a limited amount of airtime) so the program can keep up on him, a "life skills" course that will help him apply to university and find funding, a chance.

That's all he's ever wanted; a chance.

Zukisani wanted something. He went and got it. Period.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

yay! I'm so happy and excited for him and I don't even know him! I had been wondering if he got it or not and hoping that he did since your last post. it seems like he will take the opportunity and really use it to get ahead and become a success story.