Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. If you gotta a dream, you gotta protect it." -Pursuit of Happyness

I'm sitting in the computer lab typing out this blog entry because there's no other way to control my nerves. I haven't been this on-edge in a long time. My palms are sweaty. My heart is racing. My leg is shaking.

I stumbled upon an internship program at Rhodes University about three weeks ago. The program is for six high school seniors from "historically disadvantaged backgrounds," a politically correct way of saying six high schoolers from the township.

"ABSA Bank-South Africa" has sponsored the program so all transport to and from the township, all meals, all accommodation, all equipment, everything will be taken care of. Six selected students will work with editors, photographers, reporters and a variety of community leaders in producing articles and publishing those articles in "The Oppidan Press." Part of the internship will also focus on applying to universities (including Rhodes) and securing funding at those universities.

I thought when I saw this program that Zukisani, the 23-year-old I've been tutoring for the past couple months, would be an ideal candidate. He's smart. He's bold. And above all, he's determined. Nothing will stand in his way; nothing will stop him from getting an education; nothing. He's always said a job in journalism is his dream--even before he knew about this opportunity. We meet at Rhodes twice a week to work on history and as we walk around campus he always tells me how much he'd like to one day walk onto campus as a student, not a guest. With this program, that dream could become a reality.

He's upstairs answering questions as I type this. The results of this interview could profoundly change his life. This interview could change him from "poor, disadvantaged township guy" to somebody with a real shot at a future; to somebody who worked his way out of the grinding poverty of Extension Six; to somebody who can serve as an inspiration to thousands of others living a hard-knock life just across town.

I feel like a nervous parent. Those people in that room hold his fate, and a dream of mine, in their hands. I want him to make it. I've seen people try so hard during my three trips here. They try so hard--and they fail. I've seen it. I've been there to try and piece together their shattered dreams. For once, I'd like to be there to celebrate a dream come true.

They admit Zukisani and he's got a real chance at a future: twice weekly seminars on journalism, a ton of networking opportunities, workshops with editors and reporters, help with applying to Rhodes and help with funding a Rhodes degree.

Help. That's all he wants. That's all he's ever wanted. He's not sitting on the street with an empty jar at his feet like so many others his age. He's not breaking into homes taking what isn't his. He's attending school everyday. He gets in at 6 a.m. for extra classes in math. He sees me twice a week after school for help with history. He's never missed a tutoring session. He's never not wanted to work.

He wants an education. He wants to be a success. And this interview could make those wishes come true. He could be the one who makes it after all. He could be the guy who grew up without parents in Extension Six, who attended Amasango Career School, who dropped out of high school and then went back, who got this internship, who attended Rhodes, who made it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

I love your blog, seriously. I check everyday to see what's up. thanks. I hope your friend gets the thing, he sounds like he really deserves it. and keep up the good work at not getting stabbed.

Anonymous said...

terrific!

Anonymous said...

I just wonder if Zukisani made it, if not I am sure he tried something else. He seems like someone who turns lemmons to lemon juice when life is throwing lemons at him....