Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Their story. Their world. Their future." - Freedom Writers


Last week, I gave my eighth, ninth and tenth grade students at Nathaniel Nyaluza Secondary School a homework assignment. That assignment? To write a poem, a story, or a song about their lives. The poem, song or story could be just about any length, about any subject, about any time period, nothing was out of bounds; they just had to write.

...And write they did. 90% of the students came to class with their poem, their song, their story--sketched out on looseleaf paper.

Some students wrote about being hurt by others; a couple wrote about their culture; one or two wrote about the havoc HIV/AIDS has caused in their lives. All of them, who did the assignment, gave it their all. I couldn't be prouder.

On Wednesday, three 10th grade students agreed to let me post their writings for you. I have many other poems from Nyaluza students that may be posted in the future. I don't see the students in class everyday and I do ask permission to put their writing online before posting. Enjoy!

No comments: